Tainted Glades recruitment repost

Rangdo

Tainted Glades recruitment repost

Postby Rangdo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:48 am

This is a repost of something in the development forum, now put here to give it more exposure:

So Jude has asked me to lead DotF Companion #2 project on Tainted Glades. The purpose of this Companion is to expand the resources for the kind of 'Magical Forest Campaign' mentioned in DotF by working up a group of Chaos-tainted landscapes that would make for compelling adventuring material. Other than that they should have some connection to Elves and be in and around the Old World, a Glade doesn't have to be forests, though: islands, caves, ruined towns, etc. are all possibilities.

I’m looking to cover at least the four main Chaos Gods, for which I’ll need at least three contributors (I can cover the fourth, if needs be). Once those are in place, I welcome contributions either doubling up on one of the Big Four or outside of that remit (Chaos Undivided, the Horned Rat, Malal, Hashut, an independent Demon or Chaos Champion, even Glades tainted by Greenskins, Dark Elves, a god of Law or Dwarfs.)

My priorities for a Glade are, in order:

1. Playability – adventures vs nature always have a problem with motivation/interaction, IME, so it’s important the Glade not just be creepy/horrific/cool but that there are also multiple reasons for PCs to get involved and ways they can affect and be affected by the Glade. Having said that...
2. Rule of Cool – Chaos should have a memorable atmosphere/creepy hook.
3. Hooks into other bits of the background, either official or fan-made.

The plan is to give each Tainted Glade roughly twice as much room as the Hinterglades got in DotF: so that would be about 3-4 pages @ c.800 words/page. Right now I'm only asking for volunteers and ideas, but eventually I'm imagining a format something along these lines (with estimated word-count):

Rumours & Legends (200 words)

Along the lines of the OWB’s in-character takes on different monsters.

Background (200 words)

How did the Glade become tainted? Which God is it now dedicated to? What’s unique/different about it?

Gazetteer & Magical Ecology (600 words)

Where is the Glade? What are the main places within it? Are some parts more dangerous than others? How does magic work there? How might the Glade’s ecosystem, both magical and mundane, work? How might the PCs’ actions have an impact on that?

Flora & Fauna (800-1200 words)

The crunchy centre.

Build your own Chaos beasties and botanies! Also riff off existing monsters. How do they relate to the god? How do they react to intruders like the PCs? How do they react to each other? Who’s predator and who prey? Create a random encounter/travel hazard table, tailored to this Glade, which can also be used as inspiration for less-random events, at the GM’s discretion.

Residents (200 words)

It helps to have some intelligent, communicating life around for variety and to provide some more ‘humanly’ motivated interaction to the PCs. A resident might be a Demon or a Chaos Warrior/Sorcerer, Elves or a Zoat watching over the Glade and guarding the world from it, a foolish Human or Dwarven scholar or avenger, or even ordinary people who’ve somehow managed to hang on, despite mutation and insanity.

Hooks (400 words)

The most important bit: the Glades aren’t just to be good landscape, but also need to be used for one-off encounters as well as the starting or culminating points of adventures.

Note, however, that this is very much just a suggestion. This is, *gulp*, my first go-round at trying to lead a fan-made project, albeit a small one, so I'll very much be looking to take suggestions on board.

SO SIGN UP HERE AND GUARANTEE YOUR GOD! :)

ADDENDUM: We have one volunteer for a Slaaneshi glade involving Dream Flowers with a link to the Wine of Dreams novel. That doesn't exclude another Slaanesh glade by any means, but it should have a different base concept.
I used to be Ovid.

AhbaronWorld

Re: Tainted Glades recruitment repost

Postby AhbaronWorld » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:02 pm

You can count me in, and an idea for a slaneesh tainted glade starts to form already.

Cheers.
In the real world I go by the name of Andrea but despite what most you think I am man, cause Andrea means the man.
Ahbaron, the world, the system, the helps (http://ahbaronworld.blogspot.com/)

Rangdo

Postby Rangdo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:09 pm

OK, so far we have two volunteers for Slaanesh (that sounds weird), one for Wild Chaos, one for Khorne and one for a Law Glade. We need at least volunteers for Tzeentch and Nurgle.
I used to be Ovid.

Thor

Postby Thor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:36 pm

I'm happy to step aside on Slaanesh if need be. In case its of help I was looking at using material from the Wine of Dreams novel and locating the source of the flowers to a specific glade, though its been sometime since I've read the novel so could not say for certain if its possible to do.

I might be tempted to do something on Khorne........sort of a corrupted glade once used by Khaine worshippers. I believe in one of the Elf novels it speaks of Khaine rituals in the forest in the time before The Sundering, so I can keep an Elf connection and link a hook into Dark Elves.

Rangdo

Postby Rangdo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:14 am

No, no. I'm happy to have you do Slaanesh. It's just that with Slaanesh every word choice becomes a double entendre: 'volunteers for Slaanesh', 'do Slaanesh', etc. That's what I meant by weird. :)
I used to be Ovid.

Thor

Postby Thor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:12 pm

ok - well I'm easy.....but not in a Slaanesh way....

I also didn't read properly that you've got Khorne covered. I could twist the Khaine idea to cover Tzeentch........maybe.....

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”